Sunday, October 6, 2019

LVVFD Calls: It's a pity we couldn't go to Mono City

I was on the Lee Vining Volunteer Fire Department for 15 years. This was one of my first few calls after joining. Some names may be changed.

Monday April 15, 1996, 5:30 pm

I had just come home from work and had just opened my REI mailorder when the beeper went off. I ran to my bike, and was out the door before I heard what the call was: a traffic accident in Mono City.

I arrived at the same time as others did, and hopped in the Suburban with Dick, Geoff, Laura, and Stewart. Tom and Matt arrived as we were driving away. We weren't sure of the address. Mike was ahead of us in his truck.

As we passed the Visitor Center, Mike pulled over and we passed. Moments later we were told to 10-22 (cancel our response). We turned around and returned to base.

The whole time we were laughing and joking--it was a pretty enjoyable call. After we got turned around, the others started telling amusing stories of Mono City fire calls--it was pretty funny.

As Dick backed in, he almost hit #3, which elicited the most hilarious shocked look from Tom.

No comments:

Post a Comment