Monday, September 9, 2019

LVVFD Calls: 3rd call in two days and 3rd early morning call of the past week


I was on the Lee Vining Volunteer Fire Department for 15 years. This was one of my first few calls after joining. Some names may be changed.


Tuesday April 9, 1996, 6:45 AM (a reasonable hour!)

The pager woke me up, and my first thought was, "not another one!"

As I dressed, the dispatcher said there was an overturned vehicle "15 miles south of Lee Vining, no more."

It seemed far--too far, actually--since the June Lake Junction is 11 miles, and well-within the territory of the June Lake Volunteer Fire Department. But I decided to go anyway, since I figured that somebody should show up.

I was the first one there, and opened the door and got my turnouts on. Nobody else was there yet. It was quiet. I fired up the suburban, got out, got my helmet, and got back in. Still no one.

I got out, went to the front, looked outside, didn't see anyone, got back in, and waited.

Finally, Matt drove up. He came in, and Tom followed soon. I got out, asked them where everybody was as they grabbed their turnouts. Tom hopped in with me, and Matt got into #3. I pulled the suburban out, and Tom told dispatch we were responding.

I headed south, and just south of town we heard a 10-22, which means cancel your response. I pulled into the old Hwy 120 intersection to turn around. The medics were told to continue responding, since there was an elderly man walking around the vehicle.

I drove us back, passed Matt, and I backed into the garage. I nearly clipped the left-side mirror, but parked it on my first try, no forward/backward stuff. It was easier because #3 (which shared a bay) wasn't in the way. Matt then backed #3 in.

We discussed the weirdness of the call, and why no one else showed up--because they heard where the call was on the pager (Tom didn't hear it).

Tom said his wife told him not to set his alarm this morning--he wouldn't need it. She was right.

No comments:

Post a Comment